Sunday, July 26, 2009

An Ascending Descent

Pre-Dawn: somewhere to my left (if I'm on my back) or to my right (if I'm on my stomach) came a light whimpering sound during all hours of the night. Teenage boys are such sissies.
I woke up to the same sound I wake up to everyday: Em'y and Aaron playing, laughing and having a good time outside my door. I rolled out threw on the old clothes and checked the fire. stone cold. oh well. Outside the air was nice and fresh, clean, pure and cold; the ground still wet from the night before. Another fire was made in the grill and the breakfast was made: eggs, tomatoe, onion, tortillas and hot chocolate/coffee. I threw a leftover torta on the grill (for old time sake (and to fill the 17 cubic millimeter space left between the top of my stomach and esophagus)).
I gathered and packed my things as everyone else was finishing breakfast. We all sat around the bonwood (no fire, everything was wet), and Jorge asked the kids different questions. It was so good to watch the kids respond to Jorge. I too participated but not as facilitator just as another who wanted to share. We broke camp and threw everything into the vans; we left fifteen minutes before we were supposed to arrive (aparently punctuality in Mexico decrease with altitude (that's called an inverse relationship)). We scrambled down the mountain (not because we were in a hurry (at least mostly (but probably because we were more afraid to overuse the brakes (and have them cease functioning)))). We had an eventless return with most still subdued from little sleep.
For Future Reference: the place we stayed is called Guahemoloyas and is near Teotitlan.
All were there (parents) when we arrived, but something most interesting and encouraging happened after disembarking. I stood to the side by the gate while the kids were standing in a circle talking about different things. I overheard them making plans to meet up later that night to get together. They didn't invite me, and that absolutely thrills me. This is beautiful; it's why I came. For these kids to go from strangers to a group that loves each other where their only connection to one another is in the church is an incredbile thing to watch and be a part of. I stood there at a distance smiling and thanking God for bringing them together and asking that He use each one to bring the others closer to Him.
Sister Norma brought and prepared lunch for us there at church. It was delicious even though we were tired. I really appreciate Jorge and Latisha's sacrifice in this whole event. They drove, cooked, guided, and played with the kids, and even though they wanted to go home and rest they stayed and shared lunch with us. After lunch we did go to the house. I washed some clothes, finished cutting the grass in the backyard, cleaned up and got ready to go to dinner with the family.
We drove downtown to a place called Tacos Alvaro. I ordered the Mata Hamber and two beef tacos. We had a 2 liter Pepsi, and enjoyed a sappy 80's Mexican movie with our meal. It was a good time to sit and be with the people who have been of such great service to me during my entire stay. We returned home.
Aaron and I finished a videogame we were playing, and he went to bed at midnight. I packed my clothes, wrote some, and called Kimberly to tell her that I am to see her soon .

No comments:

Post a Comment