Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Stud from the States

6/30

I woke up today knowing we were going to help a guy named Josh do some construction work at the Em’y and Aaron’s school. I also knew I had to get a workout in and that I didn’t feel rested at all. I had two eggs (I cracked three but the last one decided to run off of the skillet onto the stove top) and a piece of tasajo (sliced beef). We went to meet Josh at the school which is right behind the gym. I decided I need to get my workout first so I stopped at the gym. It was a thorough work out today. As I was trying to cool down in the locker room after the workout a couple of little guys came in from the pool. I was drying off a bit with the paper towels (happened to have my shirt off) and the kids stopped looked at me at each other and then went to the bathroom; they came back threw looked up with big eyes, so I said< “Que tal amigos?” The older one immediately asked me if I was from the United States. I said I was and that I played American football there. They asked me if I had worked out (making a gesture indicating a growth in bicep mass). I said I did and asked them if they had been swimming. They gave the affirmative and went on their way. It’s nice to work hard and be genuinely complemented by someone even if it is a small kid. In that moment I actually felt like I was strong, big, and a real football player. Anyway, I finished and walked down to the school. We moved something into a newly constructed shed/garage and broke for lunch. Jorge, MK and I went to the caseta. I had 2 chorriqueso tortas and a bottle of Squirt all of which was both satisfying and delicious. We went back to the house and Josh came by to pickup MK and I. We went back and put a couple of sheets of very thin plywood in the ceiling of a classroom. I then opted to go for a swim at the gym. I swam hard for half an hour (altitude and submersion isn’t the easy combination to get used to) and laid out (I mean dried off (I didn’t have a towel)) for another half hour. I got off the bus as it began to rain, and made it home less wet than when I was in the pool. It has continued raining for the most part. Leti and the kids went to Tule to get popsicles and they brought me back a strawberry popsicle. It was quite tasty made with real strawberry. I prepared a bit for Friday’s class and have done some reading (Matthew in Spanish for religious vocab and personal study as well as El Codigo de Da Vinci for other vocab (and I haven’t read it yet)). I’m going to shower, lay down for a bit until dinner and then try and get in bed early since Josh is picking us up at 9 am to do some serious work.

1 comment:

  1. Strawberry popsicle! YUMMMM! I don't know if im jealous that you got to have a popsicle or not. but i certainly am jealous that the kids got to enjoy popsicles with you.

    And to Zach's wonderful mom (hoping you will read this) Hey! I heard you put in tons of hard work making VBS happen. I am sure it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete