Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cigarettes Mopeds and some Dancing in the Street

Today began with a slower start, making phone calls to try and rally the troops to go see Harry Potter (the Mexican Premiere) tonight. Jorge and I arrived at the church in time for me to invite Jose and Miguel to go for tortas (since I missed breakfast). We made a quick trip and returned before anyone noticed we had left. The day followed with the typical chaos that is the glory of VBS. We wrapped the day up with the Good Samaritan skit. I supplied the recap. All in all it was a good time. The group went to McD's for lunch I (after a few more phone calls) set off with Jose in a bus to go buy the tickets. We get almost half way when the bus makes a turn onto a side road. Reason: a blockade was set up in the middle of the craziest intersection in Oaxaca. It is like the hub of the wheel of an Amish buggy and the protestors had strategically placed buses in the middle of each road and had a human wall/circle preventing any traffic from passing so Jose suggested we foot it. Not a bad idea in the middle of the day, walking 2 miles to go buy tickets. So we got there soon enough, chatting on the way, arriving to find that... you guessed it.... SOLD OUT. good stuff. So Jose bounces across the street to go to school (state university) and I begin the lovely walk back. Traffic is nuts. I stop to buy a water and continue on only to be approached by this kid a half mile later who mumbled something a few times, quite incomprehensible, so I offered him the bottle and he looked interested so I gave it to him. Passing through the blockade on foot I was really more miffed about the inconvience that it was causing than usual. I just thought that this was probably the worst way to try and help your cause. There were a number of youths looking for trouble, one of whom had a machette and was scrapping it on the ground. Walking by I suppose I am an easy target for catcalls and potential insults, they thought I was interesting enough to yell at until I was out of sight. Interesting thoughts and ideas passed through my mind in those few seconds, but inspite I moved on. Walking I met a fellow traveler named Alfonso we talked about different things and made our way to the church. He went on to meet some friends. I arrived defeated and a bit deflated after my 5 mile hike in the sun.
The group was sanding more pews so I helped for a bit, then went to lunch at a place me and Jorge saw on a previous walk to the zocalo. I stopped in and had chicken soup (not my favorite) but had the most excellent watermelon drink I have ever had as well as some delicious flan. I called Kimberly from a phone booth and left a message. I had early seen a homeless man who frequents the area and on my way to lunch had invited him to eat with me but he said he had already eaten. I had seen him smoking a cigarette on a previous occasion so I decided I would get him another at one of the stands that was close. I asked him if he would like one and he said he would as he sat up; I bought and lit it and passed it to him. I was hoping to sit and talk with him for a little bit, just the basics nothing heavy, but he took his cigarette and moved on down the way a bit. I sat there for a while and then moved past nodding and recieving his wave as I went back to the church. We sanded and sanded, varnished and sanded.
The group opted for a pretty fancy dinner down at the town center at an italian pizza place. I rode on the back of Victors moped as we wove in and out of cars, going the wrong way up streets and pretty much enjoying the freedom and ease of travel this vehicle had to offer (travel note: rent/buy a moped when visiting a city so much easier to use.) When everyone arrived (slowpokes) we ordered two pizzas that were 70 centimeters across (it's a huge pizza (trust me.)). I had a delicious Pepsi to go with my incredible amount of pizza. Some went for gelatto afterwards, and all in all the group seemed pretty content. Jorge came in a small truck (his dad's) and all of the white folks (except me) piled in the back to go back to the building to wait for their rides. After much loud noise from the back of the truck we arrvied. I told Jeffery about the peopel that do things in the road at stoplights (juggle, dance, misc.) and then go to the cars and ask for money. I also told him I thought it would be fun if we went and tried. So we did. We tag-teamed an Irish jig/cotton-eyed-joe. I passed through the cars without any takers but Jeffery was more determined. He went up to each car and kept dancing, holding out his hand and saying, "dinero. Dinero." He got 15 pesos from one car ($1.30 approx.). Not bad for one jig at one light from one car. We had dreams of rush hour the next day and all of the money we could make (even though I'm pretty sure it's illegal for us to make any money here).
Jorge and I then went to the store (I bought cereal and milk); made it home and ate another dinner that Latisha had made, and finished looking forward to leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment