Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Miserable Monday?

So I woke up a few times, each time feeling a touch better. By the time I got out of bed I was only feeling a skosh better and since there was only a half hour left in the morning I got up and tried to encourage some inner cleansing by cleansing the outer (not that I'm a hypocrite and am concerned about the outside of cup (though it's a pretty good lookin' cup) but I don't really feeling like Mexican soap and tap water should be entering the inside of my body). I did feel refreshed but hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours so I had a bowl of cereal to hold me over.
I have to turn in all of my academic work today, which means I have a lot to do. So I began working on somethings, and took a break to call Kimberly then went to lunch when a man with some pipes (musical) and a guitar walked in. He started playing and I was entranced. It was really good, so good that I bought his cd. I returned home with a Bible in one hand and a bag of laundry detergent in the other. I got home and was getting ready to do some more work when Latisha walked in and asked if I was going with the group. I didn't know but I figured since this was their last day I should go. So I put some real clothes on (the clothes I went to town in where not real) and grabbed my computer thinking I would work some.
We get to the church and I find out that most are going to see the theatrical production of the La Casa de Bernarda Alba, and that I get to hang out with the slackers who weren't interested (that suites me). We went to have tacos close to the zocalo, and I went on two secret missions, both of which I am very pleased with the outcome. We met the others at a coffee place and decided to go run around for a bit. I had a strawberry and kiwi (that's a fun word to type) italian soda. We sat and talked and laughed. We then began to make our move back to the church, meandering about in the streets. Since the Guelaguetza festival is all week there are lots of people out and about. We made it to the park called Llano and watched some fireworks and listened to some live music. It was really neat to see all of the people out in the park on such a gorgeous night. We made it back to the church only to leave to go for tacos. We enjoyed them as the group spent the last of their pesos.
We went back to the church and had some reflection time with Jorge and the group leaders Larry and Linda Moran. Jose was there and offered his deepest gratitude for what the group had done. It was an incredible thing to see a young man on a such a journey open himself to this group and try to express his appreciation for what they had done and what they mean to him. There were other thougths and reflections about the trip in general. Our goodbyes were brief; Jorge drove me to the house. It is now after 4 a.m. and I have finished what I need to (besides the laundry) to say goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment