Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Sunday before this Monday just preceding this Tuesday

Sunday: church, class, followed by luncheon and work day. Good times in class; the group from Harding joined and we drew items that illustrate our uniqueness in some way as well as demonstrate the existence of God. My illustration included a rough sketch of the beach Carizillo at sunset with my dreads blowing in the wind as I caught a 12 footer on my board (yellow with a red stripe). I drew nothing to represent the existence of God, explaining that when it seems God is absent in the face of numerous questions the fact that we have questions suggests there are answers and that those answer reside in something greater than man: God.
Lulu (Miguel's mom) took me by the hand after church and told me she wanted me to talk with her friend. We sat at a table waiting on the food, and talked. The food arrived and mine got cold as I continued to talk and offer my perspective on scripture as she asked questions. It was a gift to see the pensive look in her eyes, and even as we parted I felt that I had been a part of something very important in someone's life.
We worked with the group cleaning up the grounds and doing more prep work for VBS. The ax is a beautiful thing; you notice this when you have to use a machete to cut limbs out of a tree. The group opted to go to the zocalo and Coco and I were short to follow. We figured it wouldn't be too tough to find them. We were wrong. We walked for an hour and a half and never found them. We ate tacos and watched the Pumas play in a match.
After much gallavanting around (in order to get people to their homes) we finally arrived home around 11:00.

Monday began with a crazed mass of children; it was a great time. Besides being able to paint a lot to prepare for the next day and harassing the kids with friendly pokes, goofy looks, and unique antics the highlight of the day was having freshly cooked pancakes for refreshments. The event ended with a short skit where I was looking for my friends the Fruit of the Spirit being represented by the Harding Students with fruit painted on a white shirt and a characteristic written on the back. The kids enjoyed it very much. After VBS was another workday. We prepared for the next day of VBS as well sanded two pews by hand (not fun). I skipped town when every one declared we were finished for the day (didn't feel like getting back at midnight) so I went to catch a bus. The bus stop just happened to be by McDonalds and there just happened ot not be a bus there. So I went and bought dinner (20 McNuggets and a medium order of french fries). Still no bus so I took my first taxi ride of this trip. It was so bad and was pretty quick. I stopped short of the house to complete my dinner by purchasing a can of cold Pepsi. I walked home, called Kimberly, ate dinner, and tried to make some progress on the paperwork obligations that I have for the internship. I was in bed just after midnight.

Tuesday: the apples hit the stage. I painted a pair of apple breastplate with matching hats (complete with real wooden stems and dying leaves) for a skit to begin the day. Apart from being a complete goof with the kids I designed and painted a bunch of grapes that were probably not to different from the ones the scouts in Canaan brought back. Another search for my friends resulted in realizing that Patience (the grape shirt) was at home with her sick sister (the designed grapes) and was waiting on her to get well. We went to Mitla with the group where I toured the boothes very slowly as the group explored the ruins. On the way back I was dropped off at the Deportivo to get my lift. After an hour of weights and 45 minutes in the pool I caught another taxi home (buses had stopped running). After 4 pieces of delicious French Toast for dinner; I am ready to sleep (doesn't mean I will but I'm ready).

1 comment:

  1. you are so creative! so ingenious! im jealous of those little VBS buggers.

    ReplyDelete