Monday, July 27, 2009

Zach, no te vayas....

After a precious few hours of sleep, I woke up and began to execute my plan. Shower, pack the few items used for the morning ritual and move all of my things to the staging ground. I loaded my things in the van and told the kids I would see them later. Jorge and I set off to the church at the usual time (a few minutes late), but that didn't bother me much today. We arrived and waited for a few talking and enjoying memories of the times from the camping trips. Just about everyone from the group was there. I said goodbye to Gerardo who was there to drop Toti off (who had brought me a torta for breakfast). When the group was assembled we set off for the park. We passed by the caseta on our way, and I, hanging out of the window, waved and yelled Gracias por la torta! We picked up a few more kids on the way there, but arrived at the Techio with the sound of airplanes arriving and departing being heard right on the other side of the fence.
The park was a very big, very nice place with a large dirt track, a big area for skaters and bikers, as well as playground equipment and pavilions with lots of grass and trees. We played a variation game of football that everyone joined in followed by a break for refreshments and a return to the field but this time to play soccer. The Mexican sun was bright and warm as we ran and played laughed and smiled, running with time and running as time ran away.
I had my first major Spanish miscommunication the day before. I was talking with Mario (Rico and Lili's dad) about having a meal with their family; he invited me to their house before I was to leave, but I offered that it would be better if they could bring the lunch to the park since it was right next to the airport. I left the conversation thinking this was the plan. Mario had approached me before we arrived (though we were en route) to see what time we would leave to go to his house. Sinking feeling. Oh no. I didn't want to spend a couple of hours with the kids at the park then say "Peace. I'm going to eat lunch and then leave." I wanted to be with them as much as I could all day. The biggest problem was the fact that his house was over by the church and it is an easy forty minutes one way. I was a shade concerned I might not make it back on time as well as having to ditch the kids. I didn't know how to tactfully communicate in such a delicate situation. When the time came he said we should probably be getting ready to head back I did the best I could to communicate that I just couldn't go. After a minute he said that he understood and that I shouldn't worry about it, there will be another time. I left feeling alot better about the situation.
We gathered under a tree and had piece of cake that Latisha had made and brought. I told them I wanted to tell them a story: Peter's story. In much the same way as I had shared with the jovenes that night I just talked. I tried my best to paint that powerful story of a young man being changed by God's presence on earth. I wanted to paint the details that laughter and joy the belief and saddness, the doubt and betrayal. I wanted to paint someone's real relationship with Jesus, to take them deep, and show them the hurt Peter caused, and how Jesus took that hurt and after all, told Peter, "Follow me." I told them that all of Peter's life and connection with Jesus began when Peter believed and followed Jesus. I encouraged them to believe and help each other follow.
In response, they blindfolded me. My mind slowly took inventory of all of the things they could possibly do to me and how I should respond in each situation. I didn't come up with anything good so I just sat and waited. The blindfold was untied and I was greeted by all of the kids holding a banner with my name on it. The kids were smiling and I could see that each had signed the banner. Andrea was holding a large picture of the group from the camping trip. I reminded them that I would wear them for the rest of my life. They had been with me and they will thus be with me forever. I just shared the huge smile that was being offered me.
There were many hugs and many gifts given to me. We laughed and smiled, talking and enjoying our last half hour together. I talked with Jose and continued to try and encourage him as even to the end he asked me solid questions about the Christian life and how he wants to get involved and share with the kids in my absence. I told him he is talented and so capable of offering this group so very much.
I boarded the van and with the group and made our way to the airport. After a quick change of vestiture I joined the line with three guys with three large bags to transport their surfboards. I chatted with one of the guys and they told me they had just come down to Huatulco to catch 'the swell'. They were there for seven days, said they go any time the wives let them. A freedom I wouldn't mind having some day (the ability to go and surf, not run away from my wife).
I approached the desk to find I'm not on the list. cool. I check my computer and discover this isn't my airline. So I discreetly walk over to the appropriate airline in the corner. My defense: it's a small airport. there were only people in line at aeroMexico and the guys said they were catching the 4 somethingish to Mexico City, so remebering my airline had Mexisomething in it and I too was going to MC around that time I thought this must be my airline: wrong.) I checked in without a problem passed through security after more hugs and well wishes from all and turned around to wave goodbye to people who had loved me so much for many days. I will miss them very much.
I took to the sky with much anticipation to hold the smile that would greet me when I arrived. Thoughts of future and past blurred into a contented present. Love was abundant in memory and Hope was full in vision of things to come. My life is new now.

Thank you for sharing in it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you son for letting us all join in your journey for Jesus

    See you soon
    Love
    mom

    ReplyDelete