Thursday, July 23, 2009

Operation Feel Better

Tuesday the group left but I was not there to see it; I had said my see you soons. I stayed in bed and fought for health with each awakening feeling a touch better. I did arise eventually and after a couple of cups of oatmeal with butter, milk, water, and maple syrup. Aaron and I attacked the backyard with machetes. We worked while Latisha fixed lunch. With the perfect amount of hunger joining with a bountiful and delicious meal I found myself in a place of sheer bliss, and what's more we ate together as a family. All together again.
I took some time to introduce a few of the things the kids had thought about doing and seeing which ones we could squeeze into the schedule. We settled on a camping trip Thursday night, and a late morning in the park before my Saturday afternoon departure. I am really excited about the camping trip; I love camping and I love these kids, so I am all but certain it will be a great time. It is good to be able to sit with Jorge and Latisha (both with recharged batteries after having helped the group on their way) listen and talk with excitement about doing things with these kids even so late in the game. I admire them more every day.
As for the rest of this day the elusive prayer meeting was to take place tonight, so I decided I would join for the first and last time (on this trip). I rode in with Jorge and we went through the list of members and visitors, writing those down that we should remember in prayer as well as upcoming events. We (us two, Gerardo, Victor, and Tomas) prayed for each person and made plans to visit one the next day after class. (I was really hoping that they would say before class because I wanted to invite Gerardo and his family to dinner since they had been my hosts earlier in the trip). So I invited Gerardo and we made plans to go after the visitation.
I then jumped a bus to go and lift weights where I had an embarrassing moment on the bench press. We are doing lower reps with higher weight and even though I was using much less than the percentage I was supposed to be using (sickness hasn't helped much this week), I still couldn't get my last rep and so had to rest the bar and weight on my chest while a couple of the other guys noticed and came over to help me. Weakness continues to prevail. I finished my workout without trying to impress anyone (not even myself).
I jumped in a taxi with five other friends (when you're in Mexico everyone is your friend) and made it home without incident. After sending the last of my academic requirements (bar reflection paper (ten pager (blah))), I called to wake up Kimberly and we talked and listened for a time that wasn't long enough. I did fall asleep; eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment