Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bubble Beard

I woke up fairly early (for me) today and feel loads better (must have had something to do with the talk last night). Aaron and I finished up an on going game, and cleaned our rooms (company was coming for lunch). So I multi-tasked a breakfast, bed making, internet chatting, music listening, and dressing session, and was well prepared to receive the group. Latisha made a wonderful lunch and we all sat down and enjoyed the meal together. The visitors were one Bill Watson and his wife as well as his daughter, her husband, and children. They hail from Albuquerque (I definitely did spell that right (thanks spellcheck)). We sat and talked about a variety of things (I mostly listened). They left and I prepared for tomorrows event. I made phone calls to invite/inform the kids/parents about our plans for camping most are really stoked about going (including me (still)).
We loaded up the van to go to Wednesday night class at the building. Jose was there and I sat with him (it's really good to see him again). I invited him to come tomorrow and he said he was game (I am way stoked now). Jorge invited me to go to the visitation with the other old(er) guys, so I went. I rode with Victor on his moped and it was awesome. Cap on backwards, feeling the sunset behind the clouds as the cool breeze weaves around the mountains, climbing a mountainside road road as it rises above the city, oh it was a beautiful moment. We arrived well before the others that were in the car (funny how that happens when you can blow by cars on the shoulder or between them when they are stopped).
We went inside and saw Amor who was having what seemed to be a pulmonary infection (not my personal diagnosis). I've never been to visit a sick person in their home so I had no idea how this was going to go, but Gerardo told one joke right after another for a half hour straight; it was incredible (I even got some of the jokes (have you heard the one about the dumb person who said no? (took me a second but I got it (cut me some slack it was in spanish))). The others chimed in ocassionaly making comments here and there, but really there was just much laughter and smiling. The next half hour or better consisted of Gerardo with a word or two from Tomas talking about different experiences where sick people were encouraged by people and by committing themselves to both God and to feeling better, doing what they could to help themselves with the resources they have. The next half hour was Jorge's opportunity to speak with some input from Amor (the sister with the lung problem). The next half hour included talking about singing a song, talking, and then singing the song. The next half hour involved sweet bread and soft drink. I will confess that I wasn't as patient as I should have been. I feel like this lack of patience is really a lack of trust (that God will work things out) because as it gets later I keep thinking about the dinner date (knowing this is the only night I have left to go to dinner with this family). As we finally drop everyone off and are on our way to drop Gerardo off I just feel sick knowing almost certainly that now after 10 o'clock Gerardo's wife is asleep and we won't all be able to go together. We arrived and Gerardo went in; he came back out and said let's go. The whole family was there; my tears were instantly dried.
We went to the taco place where I had eaten the first tacos of the trip with Gerardo. I made my order and waited. As everyone else got their food I waited. As everyone finished their food I waited. I remade my order and waited. I got my food and I ated. It was okay, but I could have done without the racism (they (Jorge and Gerardo and his family) thought it was a great joke when I commented that I wasn't served because of racism). I asked for the check and waited. I asked again and waited. I received it, paid, and waited. They brought gum with the change. They were short one piece. My piece. So I waited. He brought me two. I tipped, chewed and left with the family, feeling good about giving a small gift to a family who has given me so much.
Note: I really really like mineral water, especially with blended strawberry and sugar (or in an soda italiana).
I personally invited (kind of begged) Toti to go with us camping tomorrow (he's not big on the outdoors (because his dad isn't either)). We said goodnight with smiles on our faces and made for the car.
Em'y, Aaron and I then had Oaxaca's first bubble blowing competition (I won). It was a lot of fun. They really got a kick out of the big bubble, the bubble in a bubble, the reverse bubble, and of course the explosion with the following minutes used to pick particals out of my facial hair. We laughed much, rejoicing in a full day that was very soon to be over.

2 comments:

  1. Request number one: That you have a moped someday and enjoy it frequently

    Request number two: That you teach me how to craft a bubble in a bubble with bubble gum.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have been able to accomplish all that has come your way. Please get an address or some way we can send your host family a huge thank you for all they have done.
    just inches from loving your bubbly beard
    Call when you land in dallas
    much love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete