Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Good Long Day

Thursday happened. Friday we finished put the ceiling up at the school. We had the paint war with the kids. They enjoyed it very much and I got a cool shirt out of the deal. We built a bonfire, ate tacos, with the kids and some of their families and waited for the group to arrived. It was really good to sit and enjoy each others presence around the campfire. The kids went with a couple of the mothers to buy bonbones (marshmallows) and the group arrived shortly after they left. It was cool to see the group; they met the families and the kids when they came back. We roasted the 'mellows and had more tacos. We left thinking about the work ahead of us.

Saturday began with a difficult lift followed by some machete swingin' fun. I went to watch Toti's futbol rapido match at 1. He played really well, and it was a much needed break from the work. I returned ate 2 tortas for lunch. I then took a blade up in a tree to take down a couple of branches that had crossed the wall and were hanging precariously across the road. I am thankful the pioneers used an ax; it makes life so much easier. We did various other jobs on the grounds, and at the end of the day you could tell we had been there. We went to the house for an hour before class (I was asked to fill in for the teacher of the 20-something group). The Harding group was going to the zocalo to see the sights and relax a little bit. I met with 6 other people and we went to a coffee shop near the zocalo. I told them Peter's story from the gospels reading the account from John 21 and a bit from 2 Peter. This was the most uplifting experience I've had since I have been here. My Spanish seemed to loosen up and flow so much better as I was telling them about Peter's life as a disciple of Jesus. Miguel's cousin Jose came and was very interested; everyone listened attentively (maybe the recently consumed caffiene helped). Jose asked some questions at the end, and we enjoyed just sitting around the table. On our walk back Jose and I talked the entire way; he expressed his hopes and frustrations and we shared some thoughts about what life should be like. We talked about number of things, and finally able to understand and connect with someone about something very important; I was able to explain myself on various difficult issues and enjoy a real conversation. It was my first time in conversation about something that really mattered to me. I was bursting with excitement and enthusiasm to share my struggles and doubts and see that many are the same that Jose has. To see his face light up when he sees that even though I have doubts and struggles I have faith and choose to live according to the Scriptures the best I can. He wants to believe (as he expressed) but isn't quite there yet. I am so thankful for the opportunity to meet and share with him. I hope and believe I will be seeing him more often. This has been a worthwhile day.

1 comment:

  1. pouring the Life water into a dry but open heart.....thats eternal refreshment!

    Blessings,
    mom

    ReplyDelete